Thursday, July 1, 2010

Consort...once again, ignoring the issue





Today I received a letter from Consort's attorney, we'll call him Vito for the sake of these posts. Vito wanted to remind me that Consort still stands willing and able to perform some work outlined previously. The funny thing is, Consort still pretends (I say pretends because to say otherwise would suggest that they are totally inept--and, frankly, that's scary)that the issue with our lot can be "repaired" by "adding some soil."

How they fail to comprehend the problem is beyond me. They simply do not want to acknowledge the extent of the issue, its irreparability, and the loss of value. Again, this HOUSE CANNOT BE SOLD. I have lost a significant investment. My lot has fallen--drastically--across the entire expanse north to south, and most severely across half the east-west orientation. IT HAS REVERTED TO ITS NATURAL DRAINAGE ROUTE as it follows the path to a large drainage tunnel (images posted previously) and sewers. In addition, the entire pitch of the lawn has changed as a whole.

Let me reiterate, perhaps Mr. Petras will pass the message along, $18,000 worth of landscaping has been installed that is now either sinking, cracking, dying, falling, flooding, etc as a result of the drainage issues on the lot. If their construction manager truly believes that adding some soil will fix this problem, I am frightened at Consort's lack of understanding and skill in this business. As I noted before, a natural drainage route cannot be "fixed"--IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN SOLD AS A BUILDABLE LOT. This steep drop now on our lot, and the cracking apart of our land, is indicative of a natural drainage route--visually apparent across at least 8 lots, and across a side street and on towards the community tennis court. Adding soil to my lot will not remedy the issue as it will again, in time, drain out from underneath. Consort doesn't want to see the situation for what it is--they simply want the cheapest "fix"--very likely in the hopes that I stop putting my story, and the story of these lots, "out there."

At this point, I have decided to retain an independent home inspector--as well as, very likely, involve my mortgage company, as well as a landscape architect. With the home having lost its marketability, it's a must that I inform the mortgage company of issues with their collateral.

Oh, and one last thing, Vito has to be joking if he thinks that I would allow the same construction manager who believes that it is "normal" for ice to form on my fireplace mantel. The construction manager once said "these homes are built so tightly"--uh, huh. That's why 20 degree winds and ice were flowing out from my master bedroom wall and frost and ice dripping from my fireplace. His suggestionh was (seriously!) to close the flue.

I've lived in other homes--I've never had "insulation disappear" or ice form on walls. I have never seen a flue (whether open or shut) lead to ice formation. NEVER IN MY LIFE, NEVER IN THE HOMES OF FRIENDS. What kind of crappy construction is it if, as Consort says, high winds "just blew away insulation from my attic?" Do they think I am an idiot? And this is a "tight house?" How is it possible that I lived in a home for 20 years previously and never saw ANY of these problems. Consort has never offered me an honest explanation. Vito, maybe you can? Why doesn't Consort do the right thing for once?

Do they really think that I trust them, after such obviously shoddy and what I believe to be dishonest practices, to "repair" anything? Come to think of it, I have pictures of some of their earlier "repair" work on a wall cap upstairs--a drunk monkey could have done a better job. I have curved walls in my kitchen--with countertops pulling apart from the wall on the curve. (Of course it pulls off the wall--the countertop is straight and the wall is curved. No amount of caulk is going to make that work.) I have crooked walls, curved walls in my bathroom. A fallen lot and ICE ICE ICE. A real estate agent has already told me that this house CANNOT go on the market, it CANNNOT be sold.

Hey, doesn't everyone dream of waking up to walls covered in ice in their new home?) Way to go, GREEN BUILDER!!

1 comment:

  1. Purchasing a home is supposed to be such a positive thing, I am so sorry you have had all this aggervation. After a week I have had some to, this all sounds very stressful.

    ReplyDelete